Friday, March 23, 2012

Review: Birth of a Killer by Darren Shan

The Saga of Larten Crepsley: Birth of a Killer
  by Darren Shan
   
The Book: 
The Saga of Larten Crepsley is a series written by the know other by the name Darren Shan.
Most people know him as the author behind the vampire series Cirque du Freak, also known as the Saga of Darren Shan, where one of the books actually been made into a movie aswell. The movie is called  Cirque du Freak - Vampire Assistent (2009).
I think the first book of the Cirque du Freak series came out in 2000. While this series is suppose to be a prequel story, compared to it. Since the story is taking place before Larten Crepsley becomes a part of the circus.
The first book about Larten Crepsley was published back in 2010.
There after came the sequels:  Ocean of Blood (2011), Palace of the Damned (2011) and Brothers to the Dead (2012). The 4th book soon to come, in May 2012 :)
In a total there are 4 books in this series and 12 books in Cirque du Freak.

This is a kids/teenager series, about vampires. Mostly suitable for young boys in the age of 11-15 years old. But if you ask me girls will probably like it too :)

ISBN13: 9788202358853
212 pages

Thanks to the norwegian publish office Cappelen Damm for giving me a copy of this for reviewing :)

Read: March 2012
Language: Norwegian

Summary: (From Goodreads)

Before Cirque Du Freak...
Before the war with the vampaneze...
Before he was a vampire.

Larten Crepsley was a boy.

As a child laborer many centuries ago, Larten Crepsley did his job well and without complaint, until the day the foreman killed his brother as an example to the other children.

In that moment, young Larten flies into a rage that the foreman wouldn't survive. Forced on the run, he sleeps in crypts and eats cobwebs to get by. And when a vampire named Seba offers him protection and training as a vampire's assistant, Larten takes it.

This is his story


The Story:
During the book we follow the main character Larten Crepsley on his way in life. He starts out being this young sweet guy, living with his poor family. He doesn´t experience a lot of fun, since he have to work all day long. Even though he is just about 13 years old, I think it was.
One day at work he looses his temper and do something chaotic, to save the once he love.
That´s the reason he got to escape and run away. He is no longer wanted.
On his escape he meets Seba Nile (he is called in Norwegian) and old vampire, which to he becomes the assistent.
After this meeting. His life takes a whole other twist and other challenges and big choices are on it´s way in his life.

My Opinion:
I liked this book. Even though I am not really the age group it was meant for :)
First off all. I wanna give this book 4 out of 6 stars. Which is a big number 4 :)



I chose to give this book 4 out of 6 stars.
It´s a really great book for both young boys and girls. Which is great about it. Many books are only suitable for girls. But this one is good for both :)
The reason it only got 4 out of 6 stars is it was a bit slow. And not much really happened. And there was no mystery big thing during the story.
You just kind of followed his life story. But that was also okay.
And this book was well written and easy read and therefor suitable for young readers.
Though there are some violence and blood etc. it is vampires and in old times. But I don´t think that matters that much. Probably best fitted for young boys in the age 10-15 years.
Girls might also like it. Though there are not really any female characters in this book.
I will read the continuing book. Since all the mystery off this book was in the last sentence on the last page xD who is the mystery guy :O I need to find out...


I must confessed I haven´t read any of the other books, written by Darren Shan. But I have been thinking of it, since I watched the movie. The movie really surprised me, in a good way :)
So now I am just curious to read the sequel. And maybe pick up the other series by him aswell :)

Check out:
- Read about or add to Goodreads
- Authors homepage
- My review of book 2 (in the future) 


Have you read this book? Or other books by this author? What did you think of them??

~MoonStar~

1 comment:

  1. This sounds neat I hadn't heard of the series before. Not sure about the slow pace though I like my books fast. Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete